Sunday, January 22, 2012

In the days that followed

     Mad for Smarty has been a wonderful boy since first arriving to his new home two weeks ago. His temperament and disposition remain fantastic. Within a few days, Smarty had already proven himself to be one of the most even-tempered, well-mannered and lovable horses in the barn. So far, everything that he has been introduced to has been taken in stride without any fireworks or him getting in the least bit worked up. I haven’t seen him shy or spook away from anything yet. Smarty is doing a lot to de-bunk the crazy ex-racehorse myths.

Mad for Smarty and a few of my friends: Emily, Kara and Katie
     Many of my friends and family members have watched me pine for a horse for years. They realize how monumental it is for me to finally have one, and recognize the importance that it has on my life. So, Smarty has had a few visitors over the last week. Everyone has loved him so far, and Smarty has behaved beautifully.

     The biggest obstacle that we have faced so far is Smarty’s feet. He arrived barefoot behind with just shoes on his front feet. Soon after getting to Texas, one of his aluminum shoes bent. The farrier removed both front shoes last week, and Smarty has been a bit footsore since then. I’ve been painting his feet with iodine and the farrier came back and applied Sole Guard to his front feet. Hopefully his feet toughen soon; he is still footsore at the moment. Of course, him having four white hooves doesn’t really help matters.

9 comments:

  1. Thoroughbreds in general seem to be rather soft footed, regardless of whether they are white or not. There are some feed supplements you can give him to encourage his hooves to toughen up. Either way, they should get better with time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a registerred QH and they are the same way very sensitive when it cones to there feet. My horse was always chipping his feet pretty bad which eventually caused him some issues with his heal and he came up lame which eventually cause him a pretty bad stiffle ingury. We ended up changing farriers and pur new farrier suggested Vegitable Lard it works great!! I've been using it on him for a goid month or so and have noticed a significant change in his feet. They are acually growing and have become more tougher they arent as soft and sensitive. Id suggest giving it a try. It's also really good for keeping moisture in his hooves in the winter and good for keeping moisture out in the summer. It's like a lotion just take some and rub it all over his hoof. And its Inexpensive to!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just purchased Durasole, and have only used it once so far. I've heard that it is supposed to be pretty great. What is the brand of lard that you use? Sounds like a very economical option to toughen up Smarty's feet.

      Delete
    2. I just got whatever my grocery store had. Ended up getting the store brand and it works the same. Best of luck hope this helps!!!

      Delete
  3. Madison, your story is so heart-warming! Congratulations on your new best friend- he is so handsome and has a very sweet face.

    My TB gelding also has typical TB feet- soft and prone to cracks and chipping. I have been feeding him Feet First by Finish Line once a day, and I can see that the new hoof growing in is healthier and stronger looking.

    Good luck- I loom forward to following your journey!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the tip! I've bought the Horseman's Dream hoof supplement. Hopefully that works well for him.

      Delete
  4. Hello, I am a newcomer by way of Susan's article about you and Smarty. I got goosebumps reading your story and look forward to following your adventures together. He sounds like a great horse!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Madison...best of luck to you and Smarty. I look forward to sharing your adventures with you. Thanks so much for sharing your story with us. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. New follower. So happy for you.

    ReplyDelete